Tuesday 14 December 2010

I love it when a plot twist comes together...

Okay, I'm misquoting the great man here - and showing my age to boot! The original A-Team was on when I was a kid and boy did I love it! For my eight birthday I asked my parents for an A-Team playset instead of Cindy / Barbie etc. You got the four plastic figures, complete with a tent, grenade launcher and assorted other weaponry. They humoured me...

Anyway, I digress. The reason Hannibal sprung to mind was because a plot twist came together today, a big one, which has not only brought the end of Book 2 into sharper focus but Book 3 too! I was able to write the last few lines of Book 3 at lunchtime and have a vague sense of the last chapter.

It's a tricky balance to get right. On the one hand I don't want to know too much at this stage - I've written before that it starts to feel like a 'join-the-dots' exercise when I do that. On the other hand, you have to lay down ground rules for a trilogy, especially when it's fantasy. It's making me look again at Book 1 because there may be a line here and a line there that needs changed for something to happen later.

Anyway for today, I shall just enjoy the moment... "I love it when a plan comes together!"

3 comments:

Elizabeth Varel said...

I love that too! And I was a huge fan of the A-Team. It is so fun to read your blog and see another writer go through the same things. I can't imagine writing a trilogy and all the connections you'd have to keep up with throughout. That must be a huge challenge!

By the way, I didn't ask for any A-Team action figures, but I did ask for a Bionic Man when I was in kindergarden. And I got one for my bday.

Debbie McCune *Notebook to Novel* said...

Ha! So glad it wasn't just me - on all counts! :-)

Steven E. Belanger said...

I am also old enough to remember The A-Team's original episodes. Who can forget George Peppard and Mr. T beating the bad guys by shooting heads of cabbages and lettuce at them from rocket launchers? Your writing entries have been true and inspirational as well. Congrats on your new agent and best of luck!

Oh, and I'm from Rhode Island, in the New England part of the U.S. RI is known for its local crooked politicians like folks in your area are known for the bombers. Unfair to us both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...