Friday 6 May 2011

Very superstitious...

Okay... I'm basically a rational person but I will admit to the occasional bout of superstition and never more so than when writing.

Last night I was at my writing group and was trying to read bits of the new book. I think it is like *the greatest idea*!!!!!!!!! (Don't we all when we start something new...) Certainly I'm enjoying writing it - and I'm dying to read the first chapter to the group. It seems (to me) quite fresh and original and all that exciting stuff.

The problem is I have this bizarre, superstitious feeling about it. Don't ask me why. I will admit to wearing 'lucky socks' on a plane when I was a student. I occasionally spit at lone magpies. I have even been known to fling salt over my shoulder. Those are all for good reasons - landing safely, avoiding sorrow and keeping my optician in business.

Why will I not read my first chapter? Is it like when I read it the writing magic will somehow wear off? I don't know. But I've finally completed the first five chapters and going to send it to my two trusted readers - Bernie McGill and Gillie (my agent). Both will tell me if it's any good and will tell me if there are mental bits that aren't good at all. Maybe then the weird spell will wear off and I can stop reading random, disjointed extracts to the Flowerfield bunch. I can read them the first chapter and it will suddenly make sense!

I've gotta send it, for their sakes...

5 comments:

ellie said...

Just don't dwell on it..or it might be problem. Just keep focused getting to the end of the book. Maybe, you should wait on reading the first chapter to anyone, yet. Just..keep writing.

Debbie McCune *Notebook to Novel* said...

Thanks for the encouragement :-) Will keep ploughing on...! D x

Sophie said...

Hopefully Bernie and Gillie will get back to you soon, and you can share it with your writing group!

Spitting at lone magpies sounds odd! I've always saluted lone ones (you know, as long as I'm not surrounded by people). :)

Debbie McCune *Notebook to Novel* said...

Sophie when I see it written down in cold blood... I agree. Spitting at magpies is indeed odd! :-) There isn't any actual fluid involved, more of a lip smacking thing. But still undoubtedly odd! :-) x

emoosh said...

شركة نقل عفش
اهم شركات مكافحة حشرات بالخبر كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذلك شركة رش حشرات بالدمام ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة الجوهرة من افضل شركات تنظيف الخزانات بجدة حيث ان تنظيف خزانات بجدة يحتاج الى مهارة فى كيفية غسيل وتنظيف الخزانات الكبيرة والصغيرة بجدة على ايدى متخصصين فى تنظيف الخزانات بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
<a href="http://emc-mee.com/water-leaks-detection-iso

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...